Friday, September 20, 2024

I am *not* a gamer…

I swear, I really am not a gamer. At least I never thought I was. But after speaking with some of my friends I think I can unfortunately say that yes, I have become a gamer. Especially since I am sitting here in my basement in front of my big screen TV with a controller in one hand and a bag of Funyuns in the other, patiently waiting for the GTM Forza League Race for tonight to start. And to top it off, yes I am sitting in my underwear and socks… thankfully none of the other league participants can see that image (at least I hope they can’t, better turn off Kinect just in case).

That’s right, tonight is the fifth race in the Inaugural GTM online racing series. So how have things shaped up at the midway point of the season? Well I am glad you asked, because I am going to tell you. As if you couldn’t have guessed it already, yours truly is sitting at the top of the leader-board with 1 point separating me from 2nd place (Dave S.). Mike C. sits in 3rd and Eric M. is tied for 4th (with Dave’s brother Ben S.).  The remaining places in order are Tania M., Dave P., Mark S., and John R. (I don’t care if you don’t know their last names, you should know their first names by now!).

It has been a very interesting league thus far. There have been some close calls and catastrophic failures, some no shows *Ahem* Mark *Ahem*, and some penalty points assessed for inappropriate actions (and yes, I was the recipient for some of those points). I think that the commissioners have done a really good job picking tracks and setting rules that keep the races competitive and entertaining. For example, Race #4 was the Top Gear themed race between stock Vauxhall Astras. They were all stock with the exception of some ridiculously unique paint schemes and sponsorship banners, and the race had several close calls and incidents but there weren’t any issues that required penalties. And isn’t that the point, to get us all together to do something fun (and stupid) and no matter the outcome we all just have a good time being nerds online playing a racing game? Of course his only works in the off-season when the real tracks are all closed and our cars have been put away for the winter.

The remainder of the schedule includes races such as a B spec E36 M3 race on Watkins Glen, a C Spec Miata race at Sonoma, a Hot Hatch challenge at Yas Marina, and the final championship at Road Atlanta featuring Petit LeMans R class cars (GT2 and GT3). All, as well as the regular B spec “Run Whatcha Brung” races, should produce some fantastic online racing and competition. I am personally looking forward to the rest of the season, but hey, thats easy for me to say as I sit at the top, but remember… I am not a gamer.

(If anyone wants to get involved in the league, it’s not too late. All you need is an Xbox One, Forza 6, and a need to get your butt kicked by the stiff competition. Let either myself or Eric M. know if you want in)
Brad N
Brad N
#CREWCHIEF

Read more

• sponsored

Special Events!

Loading RSS Feed

Local News