Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Annual Field Trip (DC Auto Show)

It’s a long running GTM – and for some, a personal – tradition to kick off the new year with a visit to the DC Auto Show. Many might argue that “meh, it’s just a Dealer Show” but for us motorsports junkies, it’s an opportunity to see what might be out there this season ripping up some asphalt, and just slightly knocking the earth off its axis.

This year was the biggest DC Auto Show we’ve attended in a long time, using all 3 levels of the Convention Center. Attendance was high when compared to previous years; and offered more interactive, star wars and kid-friendly activities than usual. Price of admission was in keeping with previous years at a low $12/adult. More pictures from this event can be found at: via the Vault; A map of the show (below).

You never know what the manufacturers might show up with, case in point. A racing prius? (with brand new “sticker” Toyo R888Rs, btw) Maybe Toyota plans to compete against the newly announced Tesla race cars. Also featured were NASCARs, Trophy Trucks, and racing simulators peppered throughout the show.

Some of the things you overhear at the show from “the civilians” is utterly hilarious, one of our favorites: a middle aged couple staring at this midnight blue beauty (below) exclaiming: “Is that an SUV?” — we believe Clarkson would say, “No ma’dam, its a Jaaaaaaag.”

Are the Country Squires, Caprice’s, etc, of old, really that forgotten? The foreign manufacturers have definitely not let “the Wagon” fade-to-black quite yet. With several to choose from, all we have to say is “Sportwagons are HOT!” … and we need more of them! Disappointingly, some of us were actually interested in taking a peak at the new Sportwagon offering from Buick *cough* Vauxhall (The Regal Touring X); but in GM’s infinite wisdom they decided it was better to leave it home and instead bring 4 Enclaves in varying colors… people will not buy, what they cannot see.

More importantly, how many GTM’rs can you comfortably fit in a Wagon and set off to the mall? Thanks Erin K!

At the Chrysler booth, we were surprised to hear Kerwin W say “I can’t believe I’m this curious about a Mini-van, there’s a lot going on in here.” But for a motorsports enthusiast you might be disappointed by the sheer volume of SUVs and Family cars; but remember this is a family friendly event. But more importantly, it’s always a great opportunity for us to play: “I fits, I sits” with Brad N.

As seen here in the smallest car we could find: a 2018 Mazda Miata (ND) FR. “Compared to Harry B’s Miata, I can let the clutch out, still can’t steer. But I fit” – he exclaimed.

But it’s not all just dealership representation at the show, there are also personal entries, often times boothes from SCCA and other car clubs, special demonstration areas (E-PACE and Land Rover Obstacle Courses (above)) as well as areas designated for “Exotic Cars” — this year happened to feature a Mustang/Shelby corral (below). We believe that with this many Mustangs in one place, it should be referred to as “a murder of mustangs” #carsandcoffee

“It’s so much smaller than it looks in the car” exclaims John R standing next to this cutaway of the 2.3L Ford Ecoboost Engine used in the Focus and Mustang.

After all the antics of climbing in/out of cars like a pack of pre-schoolers at a jungle gym, we set off for a late lunch at Cuba Libre, a havana inspired restaurant just 2 blocks from the DC Convention Center. The authentic cuban cuisine definitely hit the spot! #cubancoffee

We look forward to finishing up our wrench turning and hitting the track in the spring; but now we’re a little more curious to see how many: Bullitt Mustangs, Kia Stingers (recently reviewed on The Grand Tour), Audi RS3s and Civic Type Rs show up track side in the coming season.

Merry Motoring.

More photos available in the Vault!

Read more

• sponsored

Local News