Friday, September 20, 2024

2017 GTM “Drives for Charity” Golf Tournament

Golf, it’s a sport that separates the men (and women) from the boys (and girls). It’s frustrating and infuriating most of the time and yet people still manage to come back day in and day out to chase a little white ball around a sequence of fields and obstacles. Why do people play this sport? I asked myself this question and the only reason I could come up with was because they are masochists. And now, time for the review of our first ever GTM Drives for Charity Golf Tournament and BBQ.

It was a beautiful day for golf, albeit a little chilly and overcast, but that didn’t deter the 15 brave souls (10 golfers) who managed to trek all the way to Mount Airy Maryland for the event. Around 9:00-9:15 the charities were set, the teams were assigned, and it was off to the races. We were broken in to 5 duos, each playing for one of 3 charities, The National Kidney Foundation, The Wounded Warriors Project, and The American Cancer Society. The winning team would get to decide which charity would take home the donation money. The teams were broken down as follows; Sam H. and Matt Y., Brad N. and Andrew B., John R. and Andrew M., Erin K. and Michael C., and lastly Shane S. and Chrissy C.

I can’t speak for everyone else regarding the actual golf itself but I can say that I had a ton of fun with my grouping. There were quite a few “golf shots”, as Sam would put it, amongst the group, and one that even netted Sam the title of “Closest to the Pin”.  The Best Ball style play really allowed for some competitive scoring and helped cut down on the frustration that golf usually brings. When one player would hit a worm burner or a shot so far off course it landed on another hole (to be found later *Ahem* Sam *Ahem*) the other teammate would pick them up with a solid shot. It felt like every member in a group was a core contributor to their team’s success. Where Sam was able to produce decent drives to get his team close, Matt was a master with the putter, nearly single and two-putting every hole. Andrew and I took turns hitting the green with great approach shots. Best Ball really brought out the teamwork and collaborative spirit that GTM is known for at the track. At the end of the round, both my team and the other duo shot within two strokes of each other (an 84 and 86 respectively). However, it still wasn’t enough to take down the best score of the day. That honor went to John R. and Andrew M. (long time listener, first time caller) who shot a very impressive 69 to win the grand prize, a free round of golf and the selection of the charity to receive the donation. There was a communal agreement for the charity for this year and all proceeds are going to the National Kidney Foundation.

After everyone was finished there was a delicious spread of BBQ meats and sides provided by Mission BBQ coordinated and set up by Jessica M. with help from future racers Clio (Chips) and Liana (Dobby). By this point the weather had cooled down further and the festivities were moved indoors but the food was still warm by the time the last (and slowest) group finally made their way back to the clubhouse. During the lunch, contest and door prizes were awarded as such:

DescriptionPrizeWinner(s)
Lowest ScoreFree Round of GolfJohn R & Andrew M
Second Place TeamFree Round of GolfErin K & Mike C
Closest to the PinNGP GearSam H
Longest Drive *in the fairway*OGRacing Prize PackShane S
Radial Tire Rafflebuy 2, get 2 (Toyo R888R)Sam H
HOD Raffle #1Free Track DayAndrew M
HOD Raffle #2Free Track DayAndrew B
Commemorative Golf BallHopeValley Golf Course BallAll Participants
 WINNING CHARITYTotal donation: $700 National Kidney Foundation

A few other tidbits, it was great to finally get Andrew M. (blue shirt, pictured above) out to an event. Family and work obligation always make it hard to find time to go out and play but he made some time and finally got to meet some of the more regular GTM members. Also it was wonderful to have our very own special guest Tania M., all the way in from Texas, to drive the beverage cart and shoot the fantastic photos you see throughout this post (Now Available in the Vault). Eric M. spent a majority of the day riding around, checking on guests, and overseeing the festivities.

Lastly I would like to thank our hosts, Ed Hutchins and Hope Valley Golf Course, and our sponsors Radial Tire Co., OG Racing, Hooked on Driving, and New German Performance, for helping make this a remarkable event. Though golf might not be a thing for the majority of GTM, it was a great time and I foresee other golf outings in the future (though maybe not quite as elaborate as this tournament).

Thank you all that could make it out and to those that couldn’t, we hope you can make it to another GTM non-track event in the future!

[10/1/2017 Update] GTM selects National Kidney Foundation as Golf Tournament recipient

GTM would like to thank everyone for their generosity, support and participation during our inaugural GTM “Drives for Charity” Golf Tournament, we were able to raise $700 for the National Kidney Foundation. This money will go on to help benefit those in need, including our very own member Matt Y. To learn more about NKF, please visit www.kidney.org

We would also like to thank all of the sponsors that helped make this event as success: HookedOnDriving, New German Performance, OGRacing and Radial Tire Co. We look forward to another event like this next season.

Dear Gran Touring Motorsports Club,

Thank you so much for your generous gift of $700.00 to the National Kidney 
Foundation (NKF). Your donation is already being put to work in the fight 
against kidney disease.

73 million Americans – 1 in 3 adults – are at risk for kidney disease. 
The worldwide rise of obesity, diabetes, and high blood pressure has caused 
rates of kidney disease to skyrocket, making our work more important 
than ever. NKF is fighting back against this major and growing public health 
epidemic through a wide array of efforts on multiple fronts that you help 
make possible.

We have placed a keen focus on public awareness including free kidney 
health screenings to increase early detection and a teach-the-teacher 
approach to present educational seminars on kidney disease and its prevention.
Your contribution also supports our patient helpline, staffed by specially 
trained professionals. Through work in Washington DC, we advocate on behalf 
of patients and their caregivers to protect and expand Medicare coverage. 
Continuing to place a priority on research, we fund a grant program to 
advance the science of treatment and to train tomorrow's kidney health 
researchers. All of this is being done thanks to the generosity of supporters 
like you.

We'll keep you updated on work that you have helped make possible. We've 
been in the fight against kidney disease for 65 years and our commitment to 
the awareness, prevention and treatment of kidney disease has never been 
stronger.

Sincerely,
Kevin Longino
Chief Executive Officer

PS: NKF Kidney Walks are a fun, exciting way to raise awareness and support. 
Check www.kidneywalk.org for a local Walk near you. Find out about local 
kidney health screenings at www.kidney.org/KEEPHealthy.

In compliance with IRS regulations, we acknowledge that no goods or services 
were provided by NKF in exchange for your contribution. The National Kidney 
Foundation is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation.

Tax ID / EIN: 13-1673104

More photos available in the Vault!

Brad N
Brad N
#CREWCHIEF

Read more

• sponsored

Special Events!

Loading RSS Feed

Local News